Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Cookies and Cream Cupcakes



I don't know if I've really mentioned it much on the blog, but I am obsessed with Oreos. It all started about five years ago when I decided to go vegan, as they are one the few readily available vegan desserts. So I ate them on the regular, when I was too lazy to bake something to indulge in. I've tried most of the flavors (peanut butter Fudge Cremes might be my favorite, but it's a tough call), and I can easily eat a container of them in a day or two. It's basically an addiction.

So when my mom asked me to make dessert for Mal's graduation party last December, I had a pretty good idea of what I wanted to make: cookies and cream cupcakes. Mal's vegan, and she loves chocolate cake, so I thought they would be a perfect fit.

When making cupcakes, it's only appropriate to wear your cupcake apron.
Side note: I seem to put my hands on my hips in all photos, ever. Must work on that.

To make the cupcakes, I used my go-to chocolate cake recipe, and added in 1 cup of Oreo pieces. Pay careful attention here, because there's a big difference between Oreo pieces and Oreo crumbs (which we will use later). Pieces are much larger chunks.

My favorite way to smash Oreos is with a meat tenderizer. Since I don't eat meat, I had to find another use for it!

Fold the pieces into your prepared batter and bake as directed.

Chocolate cupcakes with Oreo pieces -- look at that chunk of cream filling!

For the frosting, I used the Vegan Fluffy Buttercream Frosting recipe for Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World, and added 1 cup of Oreo crumbs.

My cup of crumbs. I used my Ninja (mini food processor-type appliance) to get them to a coffee-grounds consistency.

Even if you're not vegan, I cannot recommend this buttercream recipe enough. It's my go-to cupcake frosting, and everyone raves about it whenever I use it.

I piped the frosting on top of each cupcake and topped it with a mini Oreo, just to make it extra cute.




Cookies and Cream Cupcakes
(adapted from this recipe)
1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup milk (I used soy)
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 cup Oreo pieces 
Frosting:
1 recipe Vegan Fluffy Buttercream Frosting (or buttercream of your choice)
1 cup Oreo crumbs 
Add apple cider vinegar to milk and allow to curdle at least 5 minutes. Mix all ingredients but Oreos together until moist and well-combined. Fold in Oreos. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes. Let cool completely.
Prepare frosting as directed, mixing in 1 cup of Oreo crumbs. Frost and top with Mini Oreos. If you don't want to buy the minis, you can also put half of a full-sized Oreo on top, like so.


I hope you enjoy my attempt at food photography from 2008.  So artistic! 







No comments:

Post a Comment