Tuesday, March 11, 2014

My Favorite Podcasts

You've probably heard me complain about it before, but in case you missed it: I have a pretty long commute. I live north of Denver and work on the south end, about 35 miles away. So it can take me a while (particularly if it's snowing/has snowed/someone saw a single flake float by) to get to/from work. I often think about all of the things I could do with the hours I spend in the car, but since I have to keep my eyes on the road, my options are limited. So until those cars that drive themselves become readily available, I listen to podcasts to make my drive a little more enjoyable.

To listen, I downloaded the Podcast app on my iPhone, but you can also stream from the host's site. I like the app, because it automatically downloads new episodes from all of the shows I subscribe to, so I always have fresh episodes when I'm on the road. I am perpetually changing my subscription list, trying new 'casts I hear of or dropping ones that no longer interest me, but I keep a fairly eclectic mix. Some are polished, recorded in a studio and run by producers, and others are more raw, coming to us straight from someone's living room. Below are some of my favorites.



Call Chelsea Peretti: This is my absolute favorite podcast. Chelsea Peretti is a writer (Parks and Rec), comedian, and actor (Brooklyn Nine-Nine). I was originally introduced to her when she opened for Aziz Ansari on his stand-up tour, and now I kind of love her. She's totally silly, but also occasionally sweet. She takes calls from randoms and the topics are always all over the place (food tests, bear stories, gushing about puppies, etc.), but it never fails to be hilarious. And her sound effects and "Coffee Crankin'" song are epic. Also, she sometimes calls her grandma, who is quite the character. Kind of related: I had a dream last week that I worked with Chelsea, and she died. I was really sad, until she hid in my house to inform me she had faked her death and everything was going to be OK. I might need to stop watching Veronica Mars before bed.




This American Life: This show has been around for years and years, broadcast primarily on public radio stations, but I'd never listened to it before subscribing to the podcast a few months ago. It offers a deep dive into one aspect of American life each week, with topics ranging from life on an aircraft carrier in wartime, to employees at a car dealership on Long Island who are trying to meet their monthly sales goals. The weekly theme is often not a topic I would investigate myself, but I'm always fascinated by the stories.


Girl on Guy: Comedian/actor/host/all-around awesome person Aisha Tyler hosts this podcast, which is a series of one-on-one interviews. The name comes from her desire to talk about "guy" things -- she's a gamer, and doesn't really identify as much of a girly-girl. But she's whip-smart and a great interviewer, so I find I'm always interested in what she and her guest have to say, even if I've never heard of them before I tune in.


I Seem Fun: The Diary of Jen Kirkman Podcast: Jen Kirkman is a comedian who writes for Chelsea Lately, but I know her from her amazing book, I Can Barely Take Care of Myself: Tales From a Happy Life Without Kids. I didn't know she had a podcast until she was a guest on Alison Rosen is Your New Best Friend (see below), but I subscribed immediately and have really enjoyed it since. She sings, talks about her single/child-free life, calls her parents, and basically just shoots the shit. It's like talking to a girlfriend, except she can't hear you if you try to talk back.


Savage Lovecast: I first discovered Dan Savage via the MTV show Savage U, where he toured the country talking to college kids about sex and relationships. He writes an advice column on those same topics, and the podcast is basically an oral version of that. I like how frank Dan is with the callers; he doesn't pull punches and says what he's thinking. Plus, I don't have much drama in my own romantic life, so it's kinda fun to hear about the predicaments people get themselves into.


Alison Rosen is Your New Best Friend: She does two shows a week, but I usually only listen to the Thursday shows. Alison, Gary, Chris, Matt and Jenna (everyone except Jenna works for Adam Carolla is some capacity) discuss whatever strikes their fancy. Most members of the group are around my age, so a lot of the topics are relatable and often hilarious (e.g., they've spent hours debating the hierarchy of best-tasting Skittle flavors, and whether butter sandwiches are a thing). They also have a segment called "Just Me or Everyone" where listeners can write in their odd behaviors and find out if other people do it, or if it really is just them.

Are you a podcast listener? If so, any recommedations for me?

No comments:

Post a Comment