Thursday, March 6, 2014

Things I Used to Love: Converse All-Stars

Today is an exciting day, folks. I'm breaking out of my comfort zone and am going to discuss something that isn't a movie or TV show for Things I Used to Love Thursday. Living life on the edge, what what!

Today's focus: Converse All-Stars (AKA Converse, Chuck Taylors, Chucks, etc.). My obsession with these shoes started in the late '90s, when I purchased (probably more like my mom bought me) my first pair: black low-tops, the classic choice. Many hours of my middle- and high-school days were spent in these kicks, often doodling on the white rubber toes and sides. Sadly, this was before the days of the camera phone, so I don't have any pics to commemorate this period. After the black pair, I branched out. I had pink high-tops, navy lows, and several more black pairs (I wore through them rather quickly).

To me, they represented cool. But not cool-kid cool, alterna-cool. Like hipster, but before hipsters were a thing. I saw myself as very "other" in high school, and these shoes were an outward manifestation of that. They were unisex, and rock stars wore them: who didn't want to wear the same shoes as The Ramones, Curt Kobain, etc.? Heck, even Danny Zuko wore them when he joined the basketball team in Grease.

While I don't wear them on the daily as I did in my youth (as they're a little too casual for a "business casual" dress code), I'm still a big fan of these shoes. They're canvas (as a vegetarian, I try not to wear leather), cute, and they come in tons of fun colors (though bright blue might cause me to lose some of my hipster cred).

I broke these babies out for Casual Friday a few weeks back.
I like that they add a pop of color to an otherwise bland outfit.


T. Bob knows of my love for Chucks, so in 2008 he got me the ultimate birthday gift: a personalized pair. Six years later, they're a little worse for wear, but still very special to me. This pair, and Chucks in general, will always have a place in my heart (or at least my closet).

Yes, my husband calls me Lady Pie. And no, it doesn't have anything to do with that other "lady pie."

No comments:

Post a Comment