Thursday, December 12, 2013

Things I Used to Love: The Baby-Sitters Special Christmas

Ah, memories. This is exactly what my copy looks like, but I think it's tucked away at my parents' house somewhere, so this stunning visual is coming to you courtesy of Etsy

We're going to continue the holiday theme for Things I Used to Love with a real gem: The Baby-Sitters Special Christmas!

The Baby-Sitters Club started out as a YA (or even pre-teen) book series in the mid-'80s. It centers around a group of middle-school-aged friends who start a baby-sitting club. The Baby-Sitters Special Christmas is one episode of the TV show made based on the books, and it came out around 1991. I'm not sure how I came to own this VHS, but I'm assuming my parents saw it, knew of my obsession with the books, and thought it would make a great gift, which it absolutely did. I'm kinda surprised the tape never broke, because we watched this on repeat from Thanksgiving to Christmas for years.

The Special Christmas episode focuses on the baby-sitters as they prepare for Christmas, and hijinks ensue. Kristy, the president of the club, wants an expensive new baseball mitt and agrees to do extra chores around the house to help pay for it. The girls are also planning a party for the children at their local hospital to celebrate the season. And everyone goes Secret Santa shopping at the same store AT THE SAME TIME. But things take a serious turn when the focus switches to Stacey. She's diabetic, but she's been sneaking sweets and Dawn starts policing her behavior because she's concerned. Also, the younger Pete from The Adventures Pete & Pete is it is as a mischievous baby-sitting charge, so there's really something for everyone.

I'll admit, watching this as an adult I have to call it what it is: a total cheesefest. It's overacted, there's dramatic music to signify something bad has happened, and the plot points lack subtlety (to put it nicely). But it does have a good message (embracing the Christmas spirit and spending time with your friends and family above getting gifts). And it's only 29 minutes long, so you really haven't killed much of your life if you want to watch it. And since the entire Baby-Sitters Club series is available on Netflix, you can watch it anytime! Be sure to thank the sweet baby Jesus for that Christmas miracle.

No comments:

Post a Comment