Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Looking back on 2013

Welp, we are officially at the end of the year. Since I only blogged for about a quarter of 2013, I thought I would complete a year-in-review questionnaire for posterity. Vital information follows, folks.

1. What did you do in 2013 that you'd never done before? 
Hmm. Off the top of my head: lifted weights, visited a Japanese (style) spa, and went to the driving range.

2. Did you keep your New Year's Resolutions, and will you make more for next year? 
I tend not to make resolutions, I find it's an arbitrary time to set goals for myself and I do better when I come up with them at other times.

3. Did anyone close to you die? 
No one super close. I've been very lucky in that respect (knocks wood).

4. What places did you visit? 
DC, Las Vegas, the Bay Area, Texas (Houston/Austin), Santa Fe, Gunnison, and Vegas again.

10,000 Waves spa outside of Santa Fe, New Mexico. Most relaxing vacation ever.

5. What would you like to have in 2014 that you lacked in 2013? 
More resolve. I do well with starting toward goals/beginning projects, but I'm not great at finishing things.

6. What dates from 2013 will remain etched in your memory, and why?
April 8: Started my current job, the first one I've liked in a long time.
August 22: Celebrated five years of being married to T. Bob.
September 12: The day the Colorado floods started.

It's hard to believe it's already been five years!

7. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Getting a job I actually wanted/enjoy! And getting healthier.

8. What was your biggest failure?
Probably not doing any work on the house. So many projects, so little time!

9: Did you suffer illness or injury?
Nothing serious. I probably had a cold at some point.


10. What was the best thing you bought?
My car. I really love it. It's reliable and gets amazing gas mileage.

My beloved Prius. Although this photo may indicate otherwise, it is not great for mountaineering.
11. Where did most of your money go?
Into buying a new car. Totally worth it.

12. What song will always remind you of 2013?
Probably "Can't Hold Us" by Macklemore and Ryan Lewis. Not for any special reason, but they were pretty ubiquitous this year, and it was on my gym mix so I heard it a lot (and it's my favorite song to climb stairs to).

13. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a. happier or sadder? Happier, for sheez.
b. thinner or fatter? Thinner. Still working on that.
c. richer or poorer? About the same, I think.

14. What do you wish you'd done more of?
I wish I had made more of an effort to be in the moment. I think I spent a lot of time documenting things (via Facebook, or taking photos, or blogging) and I needed to remember to be present a little more. It now seems counter-intuitive that I started a blog in the midst of that realization, but oh well.

15. What do you wish you'd done less of?
CANDY CRUSH. I wish I knew how to quit you. But I've cut down, at least.

16. How did you spend Christmas?
At my parents house with my immediate family. We relaxed and played a rousing game of Cards Against Humanity, so it was pretty awesome.

17. What was your favorite TV program?
BREAKING BAD. Holy crap, that show was incredible. I also really like New Girl, The Mindy Project, HIMYM, and Homeland (even though it had a sluggish start this year).

18. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate at this time last year?
I really don't. I'm working on not hating people.

19. What was the best book you read?
"I Can Barely Take Care of Myself: Tales From a Happy Life Without Kids" by Jen Kirkman. Novel-wise, probably "Gone Girl" by Gillian Flynn.
20. What music did you get excited about?
Anything I can work out to. Also became a big fan of Bruno Mars this year. And Pentatonix is awesome.

21. What was your favorite film of this year?
Don Jon. LOVED IT.

22. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 29 on February 21. I went to DC the weekend before to visit my friend Jena, which was really fun (and freezing!). I think on the actual day, I went out for Indian food with my family. Then we spent the night in Denver and I got the best massage ever.

Me in Washington, DC, in February.

23. What one thing would have made your year more satisfying?
Less commuting. I work about 35 miles from my house, and all the time wasted sitting in traffic gets to me sometimes.

24. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2013?
I don't think I put enough thought into it to call it a concept. I guess I like to look put together yet still casual. I'm working on accessorizing.

25. What kept you sane?
Gym time, and T. Bob.

26. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Probably Matt Damon. Or Bradley Cooper. I have kind of a thing for gingers, so maybe Damian Lewis or Louis CK. Apparently I like men in the their 40s, although that is not at all true in real life.

27. What political issue stirred you the most?
Reproductive rights are always big for me, and gay marriage/civil unions. The idiocy behind the shutdown really riled me up, too.

28. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2013.
I've been working on this for a while, but learning to be content. I feel like I'm always striving to do/be more, and while it's good to have ambition, I don't have to be superwoman. I heard this mantra on a podcast and it's really stuck with me: "I do enough. I have enough. I am enough."

29. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year. 
"But just because it burns doesn't mean you're gonna die. You've gotta get up and try." From Pink's "Try." I found this applicable on both metaphorical and literal levels this year.

I think we'll end there. I hope you all have a great time tonight; I'm going to a friend's house to make pizza and watch movies, which is basically my ideal evening, so I'm pretty pumped. Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment