Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Lazy cookies

These no-bake cookies are super simple, take less than 10 minutes to make, and I typically have all of the ingredients on hand. I call them my lazy cookies, since I make them when I am too lazy to make anything more complicated. Follow these steps and you, too, can  be enjoying delicious treats in no time!

First, gather your ingredients.

The oatmeal means they're healthy. ;)

I like to measure everything out ahead of time, because once these get cooking, it goes quickly. Also a good idea to lay out your waxed/parchment paper surface in advance.

Patiently waiting their turn.

Put the first four ingredients in a saucepan.

Sugar, cocoa, Earth Balance and almond milk.




Bring to a boil, stirring often.  Boil for 1 minute.

It might be time to wash my apron. Possibly.

Add the rest of your ingredients and combine thoroughly.

I'm not a big fan of oatmeal (as a breakfast food), but this I would definitely eat.












Drop by tablespoon (or an ice cream scoop with a release, if you're super lazy like I am) onto waxed paper. The cookies will set as they cool. 

The finished product. They're not so shiny once they set.
Not only is this recipe easy, it's also adaptable. I made this batch for my friend who has dairy sensitivities, so I used Earth Balance (vegan margarine) and almond milk instead of their traditional counterparts. She's also not big on wheat, and I thought these flourless cookies would be easier than dealing with chickpea flour or what have you to make her some treats (which is not to say they are gluten-free; she just tries to avoid wheat when possible so these are acceptable in her case. Those with gluten allergies should definitely investigate further). There are variations of this recipe all over the internet but I have no idea where I got it, so my version is below. Enjoy!

Peanut Butter Chocolate No-Bake Cookies

1/2 cup margarine
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup milk
4 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
1/2 cup peanut butter
3 cups oats (I used quick oats)
2 teaspoons vanilla

Put first four ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to a boil and boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat. Stir in rest of ingredients and drop by tablespoon onto waxed paper. Cool to set.


1 comment:

  1. OOOH! I recognize these!! And I can indeed confirm-- SOOO DELICIOUS.And they totally fit all my mostly self-imposed dietary restrictions! Mmmmm.

    ReplyDelete