Tuesday, April 9, 2019

My First Show Us Your Books

I've been planning to join the Show Us Your Books link-up for actual years. I've gotten so many recommendations from those posts, but when I tried to write up my own, I realized describing books without spoilers but still saying more than "I liked it" is hard, y'all. Nevertheless, I persisted. I thought I would've read a lot in March since I was on vacation for two weeks, but I think I may have read less because I was doing things all day and too tired to read at night. But I managed to get through a few titles, at least. Here are my thoughts.

Two Can Keep a Secret: A good whodunit. I didn't know what was going to happen. A quick and easy read. Twists I did not see coming.

An American Marriage: This was a little slow for me. Beautifully written, but ... quieter, I guess, than I would've liked.

On the Come Up: After The Hate U Give, I was really excited for Angie Thomas' next novel. This was good, but not mind-blowing. I probably would've liked it more had I not read Hate, because it felt very similar. I did enjoy all the up-to-the-minute pop-culture references, though.

I'm a "yes, people exist" person, too.


The Dreamers: Meh. Interesting premise, but I thought more was going to happen here, tbh.

The Opposite of Everyone: I loved this one. I loved that the main character was a career-focused possible bitch and she was forced to change and work through her past when life happened. It didn't feel predictable, and it didn't wrap up in a nice little bow, but it still had a feel-good ending.

Someone Else's Love Story: From the author of The Opposite of Everyone and taking place in the same "world" (the main character from that book is secondary in this one). Well-written and interesting, but didn't grip me like the Opposite did. It seemed a little unrealistic to me, but maybe I just didn't relate to it the way I did the other book.

Linking up with Steph and Jana, hooray!


Life According to Steph


9 comments:

  1. i am excited to get to two can keep a secret, i really enjoyed her first one. i liked the dreamers but felt like the end was a bit of a let down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want to read Two Can Keep a Secret.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not an eloquent reviewer - I try to say I liked it and articulate why if I can. Not always successful.

    I loved On the Come Up, Two Can Keep a Secret, and An American Marriage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to the link-up! And I hear you, it's hard to always review books without spoiling (or being concise which is more my issue) and still saying more than I liked/disliked it. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome! Thank you for joining us!

    I felt the EXACT same way about the Dreamers. But I loved On the Come Up, Two Can Keep a Secret, and An American Marriage.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Two Can Keep a Secret sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You'll get lots of good suggestions and your to-read list is going to grow grow grow!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really enjoyed Two Can Keep a Secret And An American Marriage. I've heard such mixed things about The Dreamers but it's on my TBR!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have similar feelings about my descriptions! I don't want to list the big full description from Goodreads/etc because it's a lot...but explaining why I liked something can be daunting too. You did a great job though!

    ReplyDelete