Thursday, March 9, 2017

This is not important. And that's OK.

I never blog anymore. Not because I don't enjoy it or don't have anything to say. But every time I come to this space to share my thoughts, I get really caught up in whether I'm saying anything new or interesting, or whether I am being fair and considering all angles.

While those are typically important things, like, for life, I realized that this doesn't have to be perfect. I started writing here to catalog who I was and what I was doing. Not to highlight the latest lifestyle trends or share my brilliant insights on race relations/politics/etc. So I'm going to get back to that. It might be trivial or uninformed, but it's me. The End.

JK. That would be a new low for posts, even for me.

So, what's up with you? I'm still adjusting to life in Trump's America. Not that my everyday life is really affected by his presidency, but it's been a journey to find the right balance of reading news and staying informed and engaged, and not, you know, losing hope for humanity. I'm still working that out, really. But I've been trying to focus on the smaller stories, of people being kind and learning to be compassionate and understanding. That gives me hope that we will work through this as a country and not just implode. This American Life has been crushing these kinds of stories lately. Give it a listen, if you're so inclined.

Outside of that whole situation, life has been good lately. I went to Hot Sulphur Springs last weekend and vegged out in the water for about eight hours. It's smelly (because sulphur), but it's relaxing and pretty affordable and only two hours from Denver, so I'd recommend it. Also, there's a restaurant called The Glory Hole just down the road, and that seems like it's worth a visit.

I've been to a bunch of good restaurants lately, my favorites being City, O' City and Sugar Mill (because how could I not love a place with sugar in the name?). I also tried out Denver Restaurant Week for the first time this year, and I was ... underwhelmed. I don't know if I'm not a fan of fine cuisine, or upscale places just aren't great at making vegetarian entrees, but I was not blown away by anything. And I didn't take any photos, because I feel like theeee biggest turd when I take photos of my food nowadays. Bad blogger, I know.

Speaking of bad blogging (it's today's topic), I recently read a post on another blog about how to make an attractive Instagram account, and the writer suggested having a theme. Your most recent nine posts should be somewhat cohesive, to give visitors an idea of what you're about. As it turns out, I'm about all sorts of things:

Should my theme be treats? Or dogs? Or how to
take a super-flattering selfie while getting your hair highlighted?


I'm not knocking her advice by any means; it makes sense, and I'm sure it works. But I've never been able to settle on just one area of focus (hence why this blog is called Life of Laura - it's all the things).  Blogging was the best for me back in the Livejournal days, when I just wrote about my life and didn't think about readership or including photos or sticking to a theme. So I'm not going to. And that's OK.

No comments:

Post a Comment