Friday, September 15, 2017

New York: The Concrete Jungle Where Dreams are Made Up

Phew. This summer (every summer, really) felt like a whirlwind of activity, and things are finally slowing down. I love summer, and most everything that happened was fun/enjoyable, but it's nice to have some breathing room, ya know? Although I am definitely missing my community pool already.

I hardly traveled the first six months of the year, and then my PTO took a major hit starting in June. I did ATX Festival, Seattle/Vancouver in July, Tennessee in August, and New York City last week. Because who needs retirement savings? JK. I do. But taking a long weekend here and there is a feasible way for me to satiate my wanderlust.

Let's talk about New York. I first visited in 2005, when I was a senior in college. My dream was to move there after graduation and work for a women's magazine, preferably Jane. The trip made me realize just how freaking expensive it was, and how overwhelming the hustle and bustle of the city was for me, after growing up in a town of 5,000.

This time around, I was less overwhelmed and more smitten. The architecture is gorgeous, the public transportation is expansive, and there are so. many. options. when it comes to food and entertainment. We were there for 4.5 days and I feel like we barely dipped our toes into the pool of things to do. I still don't think I would live there (unless I won the lottery), but I had a fabulous time.

We arrived Wednesday afternoon, and took the bus to the subway to our hotel. The Moderne Hotel was a perfect fit for us: cute, great location, clean, and fun/friendly staff. I would definitely stay there again.

The impetus for the trip was the ticket to Hamilton I bought myself the day after the election last year. Trump becoming president really gave me a jolt of "anything can happen, you shouldn't put off doing what you enjoy" FOMO and I went for it. Coincidentally, they had just opened up new dates, so I was able to buy a non-resale ticket for less than a million dollars. My friend Laura (aka Other Laura aka my doppelgänger) decided to join me on the adventure, and thus, a trip was planned.




Hamilton was ... good. I'm glad I got the chance to see it, but I think my expectations might have been too high. I know every note of the original Broadway cast recording, so it was obvious when the cast deviated from that. There were some good deviations (the current Aaron Burr was a little snarkier than Leslie Odom, Jr.) and some bad ones (Eliza's voice didn't blow me away). So, there's that.

Me and Evan Hansen's bed. Good story: After I took this, I had to convince the guy sitting behind me that I was taking a selfie and not a photo of him. 


What did blow me away, though, was Dear Evan Hansen. Holy crap. I cried, more than once. It really takes a nuanced look at belonging and loneliness and doing what you can with what you have. Also, Ben Platt is phenomenal. I saw on Instagram he'd been on vocal rest the week prior, but I never would have known otherwise. He sang his fucking heart out. And his mannerisms to depict Evan's awkwardness and anxiety were perfect. His Tony win was absolutely deserved.



We also saw Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and it was really fun. Not revelatory, but it had some cute updates to the characters, and the sets were great. Christian Borle makes a great Willy Wonka (streets ahead of Johnny Depp, for sure. It'd be hard to beat Gene Wilder in my heart, though). Overall, an entertaining and enjoyable show.

This is already a novella, so I'll be brief about other highlights.



- The New York Public Library: The building is gorgeous, the tour is free, and you learn all sorts of fun facts. Win.



- Museum of Sex was super interesting. Lots of exhibits for a small space. Plus they have a boob bounce-house. How could you say no to that?

- Museum of Math was also interesting, and honestly a little challenging. I don't math that much in everyday life, and my geometry skills were a liiiiittle rusty. Tessellation is hard, friends.




- Top of the Rock (observation deck on top of Rockefeller Center): Great views of the city. And I was singing the 30 Rock theme song for the rest of the day.

- DŌ: Edible cookie dough sold in scoops, like ice cream. As good as it sounds.
- Milkbar: I tried cereal milk soft-serve. It's a different taste, but I dug it.

- The Meatball Shop: I thought this was gonna be so-so and mostly a gimmicky place, but the food was delicious. I had a sandwich with pesto and veggie balls, and it was probably the best meal of the trip.

I've had "see a Broadway show" on my bucket list for a while, so I was happy to check it off (times three). And it was fun change to be in an urban environment, where things are walkable/easily accessible by public transportation. While Denver is growing, I live on the outskirts, and even the most developed parts aren't on the same level as NYC. There are so many sights (like three boroughs) I didn't see, so I'm sure I'll be making my way back at some point.

No comments:

Post a Comment